WGW Heavy Equipment Operator
Palo Alto is the only city in California that offers a full array of utility services to its citizens and businesses. Because of this, the City has a unique opportunity to partner with the Palo Alto community to enjoy the benefits and achievements of reliable, home-grown, and environmentally-focused utilities. Palo Alto has a tradition of over 100 years of successful public utility operations. It is a tradition that continues to provide the Palo Alto community with safe and reliable utilities service, local decision-making over policies, utility rate-making, environmental programs, and customized services.
The City of Palo Alto's Utilities Department is seeking a Heavy Equipment Operators with a strong work ethic to join their team. The Heavy Equipment Operator is a journey-level classification that is an essential member of the undergroundline crews. This position will mainly operate a backhoe, but other specialized equipment operation may include underground cable pulling truck with side-mount boom, cable-pulling trailer, power take-up dolly, 3-reel motorized dolly, and occasionally overhead digger.Incumbents of these positions will be team players committed to safe work practices and working towards maintaining a collaborative and cohesive work environment. Heavy Equipment Operators are assigned to work crews and receive direction from supervisor/lead worker(s) for their assigned area.
- Strong experience operating a backhoe
- Experience digging underground to expose utilities for maintenance and/or installation
- Knowledgeable and advocates for safe work practices
- Team player that demonstrates reliability and dependability in their work ethics
- Skilled in determining and observing potential obstructions and dangers
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
This position is part of the Service Employees' International Union (SEIU)
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Works with Lineperson/Cable Splicer Lead, Lineperson/Cable Splicer or Electrician operating equipment used during installation, maintenance and repair of the electric system
- Operates electrical line truck, digging pole holes, setting poles, transformers, switches and any other related hardware in and around energized lines
- Operates the small crane, ditch witch, and backhoe as needed
- May assist members of Electric Division as required
- Complies with safety standards and practices
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures in working with Heavy Equipment.
To see the full job description click here.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities, which would typically be acquired through:
- Completion of High School, GED, or equivalent
- One year of experience operating type(s) of heavy equipment used in area of assignment
- Possession of a valid California Class A commercial driver's permit with appropriate endorsements required within sixty days of appointment with ability to obtain license within six months.
- Ability to pass drug test as mandated by the Department of Transportation.
Closing Date/Time: 2/26/2020 11:00 PM Pacific