Principal Scientist, Virology
Venatorx Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Malvern, PA, US
The Principal Scientist, Virology is responsible for leading/co-leading a talented team of scientists to advance Venatorx's antiviral drug discovery pipeline. This is a dual role position requiring both management and hands-on laboratory skills. The successful candidate will play a key role in contributing to the overall strategy of the group as well as design and execute critical experiments to advance the Company's research goals. The incumbent will also lead/co-lead efforts to submit NIH grant proposals to support early stage discovery projects.
- Direct/co-direct antiviral research activities including: assay development, high throughput screening, lead identification, lead optimization, mechanism of action studies and translational research.
- Contribute to the overall strategy and direction of the virology group.
- Manage/co-manage research project timelines and reporting obligations.
- Manage/co-manage external contract research organization activities related to antiviral discovery programs.
- Manage/co-manage scientific team to advance research programs.
- Design and execute laboratory experiments to further Venatorx's research goals.
- Conceptualize, write and submit grant applications to the NIH to support internal drug discovery efforts.
- Communicate results, milestones and timelines to both Sr. Management and Research Teams.
- Ph.D. in Virology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other Biomedical Science is required.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of industry experience in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology setting with a focus on antiviral drug discovery or related field.
- Broad background and technical expertise encompassing discovery biology, pharmacology and preclinical development.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in a scientific leadership role.
- Demonstrated expertise in advancing small molecule compounds through discovery and preclinical development.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional discovery/development team.
- Requires a strong track-record of building teams and mentoring scientists.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are required.
- Must be results-driven with excellent attention to detail.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status