Under general supervision, to perform skilled plumbing work in the installation, alteration, maintenance and repair of water, sewer and other plumbing systems and related equipment and fixtures.
- Installs, alters, replaces and repairs plumbing, such as water, gas, sewer and drainage systems;
- Checks and maintains autoclave sterilizers and medical gas systems, including, but not limited to, oxygen outlets, medical air and vacuum suction lines;
- Unstops sinks, basins, water lines and toilets;
- Flushes sewer lines, garbage disposals, floor drains, storm roof drains, and globe valves;
- Cuts, bends, assembles and installs various pipes, fittings, valves and fixtures for water, sanitary drainage, heating, gas and other plumbing systems;
- Installs, alters, repairs or replaces all types of plumbing fixtures, including, but not limited to, sinks, basins and water closets/toilets;
- Checks plumbing fixtures for leaks and other defects; opens and cleans clogged drains, pipes, and traps;
- Threads, reams, assembles, caulks, solders and welds various pipes and component parts;
- Repairs gas leaks;
- Drains and flushes water heaters;
- Installs, alters and repairs hot water boilers, hot water heaters, kitchen equipment, sterilizers, steam tables, laundry equipment, pressure gauges, soft water supplies, sprinkler heads, and other related equipment;
- Disassembles, cleans and resets bucket steam traps, inverted bucket traps, thermostatic traps and other related steam components;
- Maintains adequate work stock of plumbing supplies;
- Completes work orders and requisition forms;
- Installs and repairs various types of pumps;
- May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
- Performs other related work as required.
Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate possession and direct application of the following knowledge and abilities:
Training and Experience Note: The knowledge and abilities required to perform this function are attained through possession of a high school diploma or equivalent
Completion of a recognized five (5) year military, government or state registered trade apprenticeship as a Plumber.
Five (5) years of experience as a plumber and possession of a Plumbers Journeyman card, County Competency card, or Piping Industry Progress & Education (P.I.P.E.) certification.
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License prior to appointment, and the ability to qualify and maintain a County driver authorization.
- The incumbent must be able to obtain and maintain a Department of Correction Security Clearance to work in locked facilities, throughout the term of employment.Additionally, possession of a Medical Gas Installer certification is desirable.
- Standard tools, methods, practices, and materials of the plumbing and steam fitting trades;
- Plumbing codes and ordinances;
- Hazards and safety precautions of the plumbing trade;
- Common office software applications, such as email, word processing and internet browsers.
- Read, interpret and work from diagrams, blueprints and schematics;
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Plan, layout, and estimate materials and labor cost for plumbing jobs and complete all necessary paperwork;
- Use computer and software applications such as maintenance management software, energy management systems, and common office applications;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Work under the following conditions using appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE): dust, noise, vibration, fumes, odors, poor ventilation, extreme temperatures, cramped quarters, and inadequate lighting.
- Climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, stand, walk, push, pull, lift and grasp;
- Ability to ascend/descend ladders;
- Lift up to 60 pounds.
- For positions in the Facilities and Fleet Department, will be placed on a rotating "on call" list for weekend and holiday coverage of County facilities.On call status requires being available and on-site within two (2) hours of notification.
- May be required to work alternate shifts such as swing or graveyard.
Closing Date/Time: 3/2/2020 11:59 PM Pacific