Journey Level Laborer
The City of Palo Alto Utilities
The City of Palo Alto is the only city-owned utility in California that operates its own utilities including electric, fiber optic, natural gas, water and wastewater services and we have been providing quality services to the citizens and businesses of Palo Alto since 1896. The City is seeking a Journey Level Laborer to work in the Water-Gas-Wastewater Operations department. The person in this position may be assigned to assist the Water, Sewer, or Gas Operations and Maintenance crews, Paving Restoration Crew, Meter Shop, or other operations as needed. The person in this position may also assist with the utility's valve operation program.
A laborer performs various tasks involving physical labor in or on buildings, construction sites, demolition sites, streets, sidewalks, or on other construction projects. May operate hand and power tools of all types (e.g. air hammers, earth tampers, cement mixers, small mechanical hoists, surveying and measuring equipment, and various other equipment and instruments). May clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, clean up rubble and debris, and remove hazardous waste materials; may assist other craft workers. Uses independent judgment similar to that expected of a journey-level laborer, within pre-established instruction similar to and consistent with industry practices for journey-level laborers. Works under general supervision. Typically reports to a lead worker or supervisor.
Click here to view full job description
This is a SEIU Hourly benefited position, not to exceed999 hours per fiscal year. Work schedule will be determined upon assignment.
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Works with Utilities Street Paving Lead and crew operating equipment such as the patch truck, 10 wheel dump truck, boom crane trucks, walk behind rollers, shovels, rakes, brooms and other associated equipment for street restoration;
- Assists with concrete restoration framing, pouring and finish work associated with street restoration;
- Works with Water Gas Wastewater Operational Utilities Installer/Repairer Lead or Utilities Installer/ Repairer operating minor tools such as air tools, hydraulic tools and pneumatic tools used during installation, maintenance, and repair of the water, gas, and wastewater system;
- May operate various power and hand tools to excavate and backfill trenches, to install, maintain, and repair City's utility system;
- May operate walk behind saw or pavement breaker, as required, to cut street surfaces before excavation;
- May assist with sewer maintenance using video equipment, sewer rodder/snake, or other sewer maintenance equipment;
- Operates dump trucks and other vehicles used for Utility Operations;
- May install water meters or assist with other meter shop operations; and,
- Assists other members of Water, Gas, and Wastewater Operations as required.
For all assignments:
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required
- Complies with safety standards and practices
- Able to work in inclement weather
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures in working with construction equipment.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities, which would typically be acquired through:
EDUCATION: Completion of High School, GED, or equivalent
EXPERIENCE: One year of experience in construction, preferably in a position working with gas, water, or sewer systems, or experience in maintenance and operation of gas, water, or sewer systems. Underground construction experience preferred.
- Possession of a valid California Class B commercial driver's permit with appropriate endorsements
- Ability to pass drug test as mandated by the Department of Transportation.
Closing Date/Time: 2/28/2020 11:59 PM Pacific