Housing Services Custodian
Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under direct supervision of the Public Housing Administrator, or designee, performs all tasks to ensure the cleanliness and appearance of development to which assigned.
Work Assignment: Hours will be days, Monday - Friday, with every other week working a Saturday shift.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from high school;
- Six months or more experience in custodial or janitorial related work;
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of a valid Iowa driver's license.
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post employment offer physical examination and drug screen
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Good knowledge of cleaning practices and techniques.
- Some knowledge of various machines and equipment used for building cleanliness and maintenance.
- Some knowledge of building operating systems.
- Ability to follow simple written or oral instructions.
- Ability to keep simple records.
Required Special Qualifications
The City of Des Moines' Residency Requirement is in effect for this position.Applicant must be a resident of the City of Des Moines within seven (7) months of appointment date and maintain residency within the City of Des Moines while employed in this position.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Under direct supervision uses the appliances and equipment associated with the vacuuming and cleaning of carpets, both in common areas and apartment units;
- Driving to and from different sites at which custodial duties will be performed;
- Performs cleaning tasks necessary to the renovation and redecoration of vacated units including stripping and waxing tiled surfaces, sanitizing of bath and lavatory facilities;
- Cleans stoves and refrigerators; washes windows;
- Operates buffer;
- Assists in touch up painting;
- Mows lawns and shovels snow (in season);
- Maintains cleanliness standards of trash compactor and trash room;
- Cleans administrative and public restrooms;
- Sets up required community room furniture for scheduled activities;
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Closing Date/Time: 2/24/2020 5:00 PM Central