Director, Network and Telecommunications Services (Administrator III) – Information Technology Services (499348)
Director, Network & Telecommunication Services
SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Information Technology Services
This position is an Administrator III in the California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP), reporting to the Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer.
Monday - Friday; 8am-5pm
Anticipated Hiring Range
$12,083.00 - $13,333.00 Per Month ($144,996.00 - $159,996.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Under the general direction of the AVP and CIO and in coordination with other directors within Information Technology Services (ITS) department, the Director of Network & Telecommunication Services is responsible for all aspects related to campus data & telecommunications infrastructure. This includes responsibilities for wired, wireless, unified communications, network security, remote access, Data Center, video, and cabling plant campus infrastructures and services. The incumbent is responsible for strategic planning, architecture, design, implementation, and operations of these services campus wide.
- Manage network, telecommunication, student assistants, and reporting vendors' staff
- Coordinate day-to-day support provided by network, telecommunications, and field services teams to campus end users, key constituents, and upper management to ensure highest level of customer service
- Approve and communicate services maintenance and projects work scheduled by teams to campus key constituents within change management framework
- Provide infrastructure consulting expertise and support in campus-wide expansion and remodeling projects
- Ensure reliability, security, availability, currency, and optimal performance of services
- Lead and/or participate in campus/off-campus infrastructure working groups to determine design and functional requirements of network, telecommunication, Data Center, and cabling plant infrastructure services
- Lead and manage alignment of network, telecommunication, Data Center, and cabling plant infrastructure services with campus' mission, vision, and CSU's best practices
- Serve as level 5 escalation for network, telecommunication, Data Center, and cabling plant infrastructure services technical issues
- Assist campus departments with technical requirements formulations and offer an optimal solution
- Manage relationships with current and new vendors and assist Business Services team with annual services renewals
- Manage teams' projects workflow and assist/lead vendor SOW and RFP endeavors
- Represent ITS in communication with campus constituencies, other CSU universities, service providers, and technology organizations
- Compile regular updates for upper management covering project status, service issues, staff issues, and upcoming changes in realm of supported services
- Oversee development of services documentation by network, telecommunication, and field services support teams
- Perform other duties or special projected as assigned.
- Develop and provide leadership in the implementation of the infrastructure services related strategic initiatives, including network, network security, telecommunications, field technical support, Data Center, and remote access
- Identify process improvement opportunities and develop subsequent plans of action to resolve gaps with minimal management intervention
- Develop and document procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and CSU policies governing assigned infrastructure and infrastructure security elements with regards to information privacy protection
- Survey campus IT faculty, staff, and students regarding requirements for data/voice/video/Data Center/network security/remote access services
- Provide strategic guidance on technology projects related to the realm of functional responsibilities
- Develop/recommend best practices, standards, and procedures to ensure alignment with organizational guidelines
- Engage with technology vendors and service providers to ensure the best technology and services are recommended and implemented
- Provide guidance for technology and equipment purchases, maintenance contracts, supplies and staff training
- Recommend modifications, decommissioning, and upgrades to elements within assigned infrastructure
- Keep current on technology trends and industry-specific advances and initiate technology changes to be incorporated into campus infrastructure strategic planning
- Participate and lead CSU-wide committees focused on the areas of responsibilities
- Ensure adequate business continuity and disaster recovery plan is in place for assigned infrastructure elements
- Attend and/or present in conferences and seminars related to infrastructure within realm of responsibilities
- Analyze legislations and other internal/external policies and regulations affecting campus services and recommend changes in current policies and practices
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Telecommunications, or related technical field
- Minimum ten years of data/voice/video/cabling infrastructure, with progressive increase in responsibilities
- Minimum five years of experience in managing an enterprise-wide network / telecommunications / cabling plant / Data Center infrastructure
- Strong knowledge of Data Center infrastructure; and experience with planning and implementation of large-scale critical services projects
- Strong project and service management skills with demonstrated success in leading complex IT services and innovations proposals
- Extremely organized, very detail-oriented, careful, and thoughtful, with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment, and delegate work assignments to staff
- Expert knowledge of data/voice/video/cabling technologies required to support 10,000+ end users
- Ability to interpret and apply broad regulatory standards and technical specifications to complex projects
- Experience with supervising staff in the data/voice/video communications area, and handling personnel issues
- Ability to translate user-defined requirements into data and telecommunication specifications and features
- Ability to monitor and manage vendor/contractor relationships to ensure responsiveness and quality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong team building, staff development, and leadership skills
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Telecommunications, Business Administration, or related technical field is highly desirable
- Certifications such as Certified Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundation are desirable
- Certifications such as Project Management Professional (PMP) are beneficial
- May need to work weekend and/or night hours during critical IT projects and may be called after work hours to respond to critical services outage related issues.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check.
Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire.
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employees.
SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Closing Date/Time: March 11, 2022