Exam Number: E2620A
This opportunity is open to the public.
Get ready to join one of the nation's largest county employers!
Recognized by Forbes as one of America's Best Large Employers, Los Angeles County offers broad career growth, outstanding benefits, and competitive salaries. We are the largest employer in Southern California, with opportunities for you to make a difference in the lives of over 10 million residents.
We are theRegistrar-Recorder/County Clerk and our mission is to serve Los Angeles County by providing essential records management and election services in a fair, accessible, and transparent manner. We are providing you with an amazing opportunity to join our organization of professionals committed to serving our employees, the public, and community. We seek to achieve accountability, professionalism, integrity, respect, and equity.
We are looking for top talent with the right skills in computer programming and database framework to maintain information accessibility and protect sensitive data with comprehensive security measures.
Make a positive change and join us! We are accepting applications fromNovember 13, 2019 at 12:30 p.m. (PT) to November 27,2019 at 5:00p.m. (PT). However, the filing period will be suspended after the first150 applications are received or by November 27, 2019, at 5:00 p.m. (PT), whichever occurs first.
Essential Job Functions
You will collaborate with a team of experts to ensure that data is secure, correct, and available.
Your duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Analyze database requirements; evaluate, design, and implement database systems; select or assist in the selection, including, design, feasibility studies, cost estimates, impact analysis, data conversion functions, and reduction of redundant data; may serve as liaison to vendors for negotiating license and support; and act as a technical specialist on database concepts and functional capabilities.
- Assist in the selection of new application systems by reviewing database design, database technologies, hardware specifications, configuration and deployment plans for performance, maintainability, scalability, operations impact, and conformance to architectural standards. May assist in the administration and support of application servers.
- Install and configure database management software, including upgrades, patches, and third-party tools. Maintain database management software and related software.
- Participate in the formulation of database strategies and evaluation for new technologies in database management.
- Write policies and procedures pertaining to database standards, management, security and maintenance and assist in the development of database system related standards and methodologies and the selection of a standard DBA toolset.
- Develop and/or validate deployment scripts for database software changes in testing, training, preproduction, and production environments and deploy the database.
- May develop, assist, or participate in a team of developers engaged in the overall database design, query tuning, creating indexes, and in the creation of scripts, stored procedures, functions, triggers, batch jobs, data extraction, transformation, and loading. Analyze written database code to assess impact on the database system and application performance.
- Support database environment by performing preventive maintenance tasks and database tuning; create andmanage indexes to support application performance requirements; analyze query plans and monitor database system performance to identify and resolve database performance problems.
- Design and implement database security for applications, including creating database users, designing and assigning roles, and granting and denying database privileges.
- Respond to database outages or performance problems by applying backup and recovery methods to restore normal operations. Establish and maintain security and integrity controls and including data backup/recovery specifications.
- Plan, manage, and monitor database capacity, storage needs, and the quality and integrity of stored data.
There are two (2) ways to qualify:
Option I:Graduation from an accredited institution* with a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related discipline** and four (4) years of progressively responsible*** full-timework experience ininformation technology;two (2) of the four (4) years must include planning, designing, implementing, and administering of server-based, scalable databases.
For this option, pleasesubmit a legible copy of your official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter which shows the area of specialization and the date when the degree was conferred or awarded, along with your application. If you are unable toattach any of the acceptable documents to your application, you must email it to firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission. Please reference the examination title and number.
Option II:Five (5) years of progressively responsible*** full-time work experience ininformation technology;three (3) of the five (5) years must include planning, designing, implementing, and administering server-based, scalable databases.
Desired Qualification: Microsoft SQL Server Certified, Version 2008, 2012, 2014, or 2016.
Extra credit will be given for each certification.In order to receive the extra credit, youmust submit a legible copy of your certification with your application.If you are unable toattachit to your application, you must email it to email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission. Please reference the examination title and number.
If you served in the military and were honorably discharged, you may qualify for Veteran's Credit. We will need a copy of your DD214 or any official document issued by your branch of service to determine veteran credit eligibility. Please include it with your application or email the document to firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission. Please reference the examination title and number.
License: You must have a valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
Physical Expectations: This job will require light physical effort (Class II) which may include occasional light lifting to a 10-pound limit; some bending, stooping or squatting; and considerable walking may be involved.
Special Requirement Information:
*Accredited institutions are those listed in the publications of regional, national or international accrediting agencies which are accepted by the Department of Human Resources. Publications such as American Universities and Colleges and International Handbook of Universities are acceptable references. Also, acceptable if appropriate, are degrees that have been evaluated and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from United States accredited institutions by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc.
**Related discipline includes Computer Engineering; Computer Information Systems; Computer Science and Engineering; Electrical Engineering and Computer Science; Management Information Systems; and Mathematics with Computer Science.
***Progressively responsible experience is work experience that clearly shows an upward progression in the level of duties and responsibilities from one job to the next.
Our Assessment Process: The assessment will consist of an evaluation of training and experience and desired qualifications, weighted at 100% based on application and supplemental questionnaire information.
Applicants must meet the selection requirements and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher to be placed on the eligible list. Notice of Non-Acceptance and Final Result letter will be mailed via USPS. Results cannot be given over the phone.
Available Shift and Vacancy Information: Appointments may require working any shift, including evenings, weekends, and holidays at the Department of Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk in Norwalk, CA.
What Happens Next? We ask that you submit your application by clicking on the "Apply" button at the top of the opportunity posting.
If you need assistance or have questions, please contact us using the following information:
Exam Number: E2620A
Exam Analyst: Rosetta Thai
Phone Number: (562) 462-2844
ADA Coordinator Phone: (562) 462-2285
Teletype Phone: 800-899-4099
Alternate TTY Phone: 800-897-0077
California Relay Services Phone: 800-735-2922
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.
It is the policy of the County of Los Angeles to provide equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal law. All positions are open to qualified men and women pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act. The County will comply with all its obligations under State and Federal laws regarding the provision of reasonable accommodations to applicants.
Closing Date/Time: 11/27/2019 5:00 PM Pacific