Under the direction of the communications vice president, the communications manager will play a key role in helping the Lupus Foundation of America promote its work with a key focus on research, education and advocacy/public policy to include managing a year-round lupus awareness campaign as part of a federal public health grant; helping lead communication and education efforts around research and participation in clinical trials; expanding the Foundation's reach through the identification and engagement with community partners as part of our National Lupus Partners Network; supporting the communication efforts for the World Lupus Federation; marketing key Foundation programs supported by federal grants; and growing engagement with key stakeholders. This position will be responsible for leading and executing cross-functional marketing efforts to support organizational and priority programs including awareness and fundraising campaigns, media relations, community outreach, education initiatives, online communications and content.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the Be Fierce. Take Control .™ awareness campaign designed to reach young African American/Black and Hispanic/Latina women who are at a greater risk for developing lupus..
- Communicate with and engage members of the Advisory Committee for the Be Fierce. Take Control. campaign.
- Conduct outreach and manage relationships with key community partners.
- Develop media-related materials including press releases, media kits, message points and fact sheets.
- Develop marketing materials and communications consistent with content strategy and brand voice, such as web and social media posts, speeches, brochures, presentations, blogs, e-newsletter, articles, advertisements, video scripts, digital toolkits and constituent and stakeholder email communications.
- Develop and execute strategies, including marketing and communications plans to support various research, advocacy and education initiatives to include:
- key research programs such as RAY, LRAN and ALPHA, and research-focused conferences to include ACR Convergence, EULAR, Lupus 21st Century Meeting and International Lupus Congress.
- advocacy initiatives such as the National Lupus Advocacy Summit, appropriations announcements and efforts around access to care.
- health education promotions for the National Resource Center on Lupus, The Expert Series and Strategies to Embrace Living with Lupus Fearlessly (SELF).
- Write and manage a monthly national e-newsletter to include working with the regional offices to coordinate local content.
- Support the communications, operations and member cultivation of the World Lupus Federation.
- Participate in cross-department team meetings organized to build and enhance Foundation signature events.
- Develop strategic opportunities to creatively share the mission of the organization and day-to-day impact of donors/volunteers through stories, video, visuals, social media, etc.
- Contribute to maintaining the communications calendar to ensure that upcoming events, programs and other content marketing needs are strategically included across communications channels and equip staff with opportunities for intersection/collaboration.
- Effectively utilize the Foundation's project management software (Redbooth) to include creating and coordinating workspaces and tasks within Redbooth.
- Support and attend as necessary Lupus Foundation of America national office events which include but are not limited to all-staff meetings, Advocacy Summit, Walks, and Lupus & You events.
- Other duties as assigned.
The communications manager must be a team player, effectively juggling a diverse variety of projects with grace and professionalism. This position requires an individual who is strategic and forward-thinking, detail oriented, and has the ability to present new ideas and execute them. This individual must have proven success developing and managing campaigns, reaching and engaging with racial and ethnic minority groups, securing media coverage, and creating engaging social media content. Must be an excellent writer and strong project manager, with demonstrated experience developing and executing strategic communications plans. The individual in this position should possess a strong desire to learn about and understand lupus and the Foundation's priorities, programs and services.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of marketing/communications/public relations experience, preferably in the PR agency or non-profit industry.
- Demonstrated success in the areas of marketing campaign management.
- Proven success implementing campaigns and outreach efforts to reach racial and ethnic minority groups, specifically African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian or Native American populations.
- Extremely detail oriented and comfortable developing and working with project plans/timelines.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including the ability to write for a variety of audiences and communications mediums, ensuring communications is clear, consistent, error-free, in line with Foundation tone and priorities, and engaging to a variety of target audiences.
- Candidate should be an organized self-starter and able to work independently while managing multiple projects and budgets in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, proven ability to work cross-functionally, across Foundation departments and in a team-based environment.
- Demonstrated media relations success securing news stories and experience creating and overseeing, writing press releases and statements, building media lists, and creating media reports.
- Working knowledge of the following (or similar) software, tools and platforms: Google Drive, Microsoft Office Suite, Cision, PR Newswire, Redbooth, Drupal CMS, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and YouTube.
- Demonstrated ability to use social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok and other social media channels) to effectively deliver marketing content.
- Preferred experience with collaboration, productivity and project management tools such as Slack, Redbooth, Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Experience developing and editing videos and podcasts are a plus.
- Spanish/English bilingual capability is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, journalism or a related field.