Chemist, Staff Consultant
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
Do you want to work for one of the top engineering firms in the country?
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc. (SGH) is a national engineering firm that designs, investigates, and rehabilitates structures, building enclosures, and materials. Our award-winning work encompasses building, energy, civil/infrastructure, and science/defense projects in the United States, Canada, and more than thirty additional countries.
We want someone passionate about chemistry and problem solving.
We are looking for a Staff Consultant with a degree and background in chemistry and industry experience in developing and/or analyzing construction materials such as architectural coatings, flooring, and sealants. Knowledge of polymer chemistry and chemical/analytical methods such as Fourier transform spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, scanning electron microscopy, and similar methods. Applicant should have affiliation with pertinent industry organizations such as NACE (National Association Coating Engineers), ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials, or similar.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Serve as a technical leader for the company in the application of advanced theories, concepts, principles, and processes for chemistry-related issues.
- Serve as a Project Manager and primary client contact.
- Develop scope of services and prepare proposals.
- Assemble appropriate project team.
- Manage project team and oversee work.
- Develop new business as appropriate.
- Conduct laboratory testing and failure analysis of materials used in construction.
- Stay abreast of new scientific methods and developments affecting their technical specialty.
What Youll Need:
- Masters, or PhD degree in Chemistry or Materials Science
- 10+ years of relevant experience and expertise in construction materials and building systems.
- Expertise and knowledge of adhesive chemistry, physical testing, durability testing, polymer chemistry, and coating technology.
- Excellent oral and written communications.
- Ability to work independently or in large multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to commit to aggressive timelines and to deliver on those commitments.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with high levels of motivation, initiative and energy.
- Ability to interact effectively with both internal and external customers.
- Professional society participation and a technical thirst.
- Experience managing projects.
- Ability to work in the field.
- Strong ethical standards.
- Must have a valid drivers license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
SGH has over 600 employees and offices in Boston, Chicago, Houston, New York City, San Francisco, Southern California, Waltham, MA and Washington DC.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email email@example.com.