Assistant Director, Queer Resource Center
Assistant Director, Queer Resource Center
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Assistant Director, Queer Resource Center position. The Assistant Director, Queer Resource Center is a full-time, year-round position starting at $ 61,545 - commensurate with experience. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
Amherst College invites applications for the position of Assistant Director, Queer Resource Center to advance the center's mission to further conversations around gender and sexuality across campus by providing opportunities for leadership development, intentional programming, and space for community building that centers the support and empowerment of Amherst's LGBTQ+ community. The QRC celebrates the beauty of gender and sexuality diversity through utilizing an intersectional approach to all our work, uplifting the experiences of queer and trans people of color (QTPOC) communities, while countering systems of racism, heterosexism and cissexism.
Reporting to the Director of Gender and LGBTQ+ Equity and Engagement, the Assistant Director will supervise the student staff, day-to-day operations, student-led programming, as well as manage critical center communications platforms. The Assistant Director will work in collaboration with the Director of Gender and LGBTQ+ Equity and Engagement to develop, implement, and assess signature programs and initiatives, including the Trans Connection Project, Trans Empowerment Series, The Free Closet, Queer and Trans History Month, Serving Tea, Trans Day of Visibility, Pride Month, etc. The Assistant Director of the QRC will work collaboratively on shared projects and initiatives with the constitutive departments of the Office of Identity and Cultural Resources— composed of Amherst's six identity/affinity-based resources center departments, including: the Center for International Student Engagement, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life, Class and Access Resource Center, Multicultural Resource Center, Queer Resource Center, and the Women's & Gender Center. The Assistant Director will work with various campus partners and stakeholders to fulfill the department's mission through educational, social, and cultural programming that centers and affirms the various communities the Center serves.
The Assistant Director will take appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. Flexibility to work nights and weekends is required.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Management, Operations, and Supervision
• Management of the day-to-day operations of the Queer Resource Center
• Serve as a constitutive member of the Office of Identity and Cultural Resources Team
• Engage in strategic planning and assessment of QRC operations, resources, and programming
• Consistently evaluate operational efficiencies and opportunities to streamline processes
• Supervise, and support of the skill and content knowledge development of a team of 6-8 student staff
• Recruit, hire, onboard, and train student staff in collaboration with Director
Program Development, Facilitation, and Assessment
• Coordinate educational and social programs that enhance critical understanding of sexuality and gender, equity, and homophobic and transphobic violence to the Amherst College community
• Assist in the planning, implementation, and assessment of signature and traditional programming, including Trans Connection Project, Trans Empowerment Series, The Free Closet, Queer and Trans History Month, Serving Tea, Trans Day of Visibility, Pride Month, etc
• Collaborate at the divisional and institutional level to develop and facilitate campus programs, workshops, training, and other opportunities that support the mission of QRC
• As a member of the OICR Team, co-create, develop, and implement programs that examine the intersections of historically and presently marginalized identities, their communities, and the various dynamics and developments both domestically and globally
• Contribute to the development, and implementation of department-wide assessment program covering both programmatic work of department and department-managed resources
Student Support and Development
• Meet with and advise students on support resources at and beyond the college
• Work collaboratively with Case Management and Counseling Center and other key campus partners to ensure support systems and programming for students
• Provide leadership and organizational development education to student organizations engaged in work related to the mission of the QRC
Content Development and Communications
• Oversee QRC newsletter communications
• Manage the creation of promotional materials
• Maintain the website to include more dynamic resources for students
• Develop, maintain, and assess social media programs, with student staff input and implementation
• Bachelor's degree in critical area studies (i.e. Black Studies, Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies, etc.), Social Justice Education, Social Work, Higher Education, and/or related fields
• 1-3 years of progressive experience working with students historically/presently students excluded from in higher education, specifically those who identify as LGBTQIA+
• Demonstrated commitment and competence in contemporary challenges and issues of historically and presently marginalized and underrepresented students, specifically those who are LGBQ+, and any folks who identify at some distance from the gender they were assigned at birth, whether they identify as trans, nonbinary, genderqueer, agender, questioning, and/or experiences gender outside of cisness, and/or is exploring gender
• At least 1 full year of demonstrated experience with student supervision and development
• Effective and clear communication, both verbally and written
• Program development, implementation, and assessment experience
• Experience with content management on multiple mediums and platforms, i.e. poster design, social media account management, website editing, email marketing programs, etc
• Demonstrated efficacy working with diverse teams
• Ability to take initiative, work independently and collaboratively
• Strong interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills
• Proficiency with Google Suite for Education, Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, PowerPoint
• Training, workshop, intergroup dialogue, and/or circle facilitation, design, and delivery experience
• Knowledge of student development theory and demonstrative incorporation of said theory into practice
• Demonstrated commitment to a student-centered approach in practice, especially with building relationships with underrepresented students
• Familiarity, basic competence, or more with Adobe Design Suite software, and/or Canva Design Platform
• Knowledge of and/or proficiency in non-English language(s)
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for https://www.amherst.edu/offices/human_resources/benefits.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted.(Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4008214
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.